TMS Residential Relocation Tips
What can you do to try to ensure a smooth relocation?
- List important new phone numbers. Click to view a printable numbers sheet.
- If an employer helps pay moving expenses, confirm what preparations, if any, you'll be required to make.
- Decide what goes with you, what to sell and what to donate.
- Collect and keep important papers handy (medical, insurance, etc.)
- Clear up outstanding accounts.
- Transfer checking and savings accounts and contents of safe deposit boxes to your new community.
- Arrange disconnect/connect dates with local utilities.
- Begin serious packing of items you will not need for the next two weeks.
- Send change-of-address cards and leave forwarding address with the Post Office.
- Service your vehicle, especially if traveling long distance.
- Dispose of flammable liquids such as spray paints, solvent and thinners, and power equipment gas.